[BD] Womens spot allocation to Rostock

Maria Cahill maria_cahill at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 23 17:29:48 GMT 2004

Emily and the rest of the women's committee,

Firstly, thanks for the time and effort you are volunteering towards the
development of the UK women's scene.

You have a very difficult task on your hands deciding how to allocate slots
to Euros, not helped by the continued delay by the EFDF.

For those who haven't been involved in the entire process, here is a quick
summary of how we arrived at where we are now:

July 16th Alia (UKU women's coordinator '04) sent a message to a list of 20+
women (including regional women's reps and GB players) asking us to help her
decide on a process to allocate slots at Euros.

Aug 17th Alia posted an e-mail to UKUW, BD etc confirming the results of our
discussions. These were that the winner of Nationals would get an automatic
slot at Euros to be accepted by Oct 1st (this deadline was subsequently
extended by 2 weeks) and that all other teams wishing to participate would
be invited to submit a bid. This bid had to include 15 players who would be
playing for that team at Euros and any other relevant supporting
information.

Aug 22nd London Geo (HRH) win Nationals in Birmingham

Oct 15th London Geo (HRH) confirm they will accept their slot at Euros and
Scotland, Bristol, Leeds and Bliss submit bids to the women's committee.
London Geo (HRH) submit roster of 20+ player for completeness.

Oct 28th E-mail from women's committee confirming receipt of four bids and
confirming London Geo (HRH)'s acceptance of a slot.

I realise this summary is superfluous to some, but there are those who were
not partial to the initial discussions and so may be wondering how the
process was decided upon. I hope this makes things clearer.

So, now back to the subject at hand.

As the EFDF is taking longer than originally anticipated to define the
number of places to be filled by UK women's teams at Euros, would it be
possible, in the interim, to publish the 4 bids as they were submitted on
Oct 15th? This would provide good visibility to the UK women's community.

Can you give some indication as to how you intend weighting or prioritising
the bids so that once the EFDF award the UK its slots, teams can be informed
quickly and plan the rest of their season accordingly? Euros is providing
London (HRH) players with a great focus, even at this early stage in the
season. I can understand Hannah and LLL frustration at not being able to
give their players a set of objectives for the season.

Finally, what feedback have you had from the regions you represent on your
criteria for prioritisation? No doubt women players round the country will
have suggestions as to how best to promote women's ultimate in the UK by
getting good representatives to Euros.

Once again, thanks for all your hard work,

Regards,

Maria